Back again with a thinker. Sorry that I forget some weeks but I gotcha covered this week. Here we go:
- Read Malachi 3:13-4:3. Reread it. Re-reread it.
- Note the repeated words like “fear of the Lord” or “serve” or “arrogant” or “evildoers”.
- Look at vv13-15. Note the words “vain” and “profit.” What do you think is the gist of the people's complaint? What do you think is the root of the problem?
- Look at vv16-18. Who are these people? Make a list of the good things the Lord will do for these people. Perhaps look up references to the “books” of the Lord in the Bible. Also, notice that part about a treasured possession. Look up Exodus 19:3-5 and 1 Peter 2:9. What about that talk about sparing someone? Look up Romans 8:32.
- Look at v18. What is the Lord wanting them to know? Why is it important to make a distinction between those who fear God and those who don't? Has God always done this? Hint: go read the story of the Exodus.
- Look at 4:1-3. What is this day he refers to? What's going to happen on that day?
Don't forget: we have our Thanksgiving meal on Sunday and a special Day of Giving. Why not give thanks by giving a generous and sacrificial offering?
See you Sunday.